Bitter gourd also known as Bitter Melon, belongs to the Cucurbitaceous family. Bitter melon grows in tropical regions and is a popular food plant. And instead, many of us don’t like the taste of it. Now,
Can dogs eat bitter gourd?
Yes, dogs can eat Bitter Gourd but avoid giving them bitter melon seeds. Your dog can consume half a bitter melon but not more than three times a week.
Generally, there is no side effect of bitter gourd. But some of the side effects may occur when the quantity of gourds exceeds. The common side effects are diarrhea, vomiting, hypoglycemia, and stomach pain.
Some dogs are allergic to the bitter gourd which is normal. In this case, it is better to keep them away from bitter melons.
Nutritional benefits of bitter melon to your dog
Bitter gourd is full of vitamin C, vitamin A, and folate and has very few calories.
It is packed with fiber and fortified with iron, potassium, and zinc. Bitter melon is also high in antioxidants.
- Vitamin C protects the body of a dog from diseases and reduces inflammation. It helps in the immune system of a dog.
- Vitamin A improves skin health and vision in dogs. It also increases immunity and is vital for the proper functioning of cells.
- Bitter gourd full of antioxidants that prevent cell-aging in dogs.
- Foliate is an essential vitamin for canine development and growth dogs.
- It reduces blood sugar and cholesterol.
- Bitter gourd contains high fiber that promotes proper health and assists natural bowel movement in dogs.
- Iron, potassium, and zinc ensure bodily functions, boost immunity, and promote organ health.
- Bitter gourd also supports insulin production, which can lower the blood sugar level of dogs.
Bitter melon is high in a number of essential nutrients.
|Value (One cup /94 grams)
What if your dog eats bitter gourd in excess?
Excessive consumption of Bitter Gourd can make any dog sick. Bitter gourd is a food that is an occasional meal or a treat. It is not a natural food for dogs.
Eating a lot of it may upset your dog’s stomach that leads to vomiting and diarrhea. These are some of the causes through which your dog will recover without having many problems. In case your pup suffers from the following, you should take it immediately to the vet:
- Increased water intake and urination.
- Loss of consciousness
- Discoloration of skin and gums
- Lack of coordination
Health is one of them which you should have to take care of. You must consult your doctor within the time because the causes like hypoglycemia are life-threatening causes.
There are some alternatives to Bitter Gourd that you can give to your dogs: banana, watermelon, carrot, pumpkin, and cucumber.
Conditions where bitter gourd is unsafe for dogs
- You should avoid feeding Bitter gourd to female dogs during pregnancy. They can experience miscarriage after eating Bitter melon.
- Stomach issues are common if you feed too many Bitter gourds to your pup. It may result in vomiting and diarrhea.
- Giving bitter gourd along with diabetes medicine may lead to hypoglycemia.
The cause of hypoglycemia is a serious concern because it can lead to a life-threatening emergency. Call your vet doctor immediately and go through the check-up.
Bitter gourd in moderation without seeds is safe for your pup as it contains good vitamins, low fiber, and antioxidants which are very helpful for your dog.
You might also like to read