Food is a basic necessity in one’s life. If a person is not eating regularly, managing regular activities and living a healthy life will not be possible for them. But as living beings, we all have a clock in our bodies that lets us decide when it is time to have our meal. Likewise, dogs also have a set time when they can have their food.
Do you know that dogs won’t eat food in the morning? It might sound a bit astonishing to you, but yes, this is the truth. In the morning, dogs are not fond of having anything. They prefer to roam here and there without having any meals. When they feel hungry, they would love to have it. You cannot feed them forcefully.
If you have a four-legged pet at your home, let’s explore its dietary habits and schedule in detail for a better understanding!
What to do if your dog won’t eat breakfast in the morning?
If your dog won’t eat breakfast, there is nothing to worry about. The chances are that your dog might not be feeling hungry. Change their schedule to correct this. The changes include:
- Change in their diet
- Change in activities they are engaging
- Changes in their sleeping schedule
But apart from that, make sure to feed them right. If they do not have plenty of vitamins and nutrients required by their body, they might suffer from some diseases like infections, liver disease, and so on. If they do not have any meals in a day, this is a concerning situation, and you should approach the vet immediately.
Should dogs eat as soon as they wake up?
Well, it entirely depends on the last meal the dog had last night. A dog’s breakfast must be around 7 in the morning and dinner around 6 in the evening. This is so because complete digestion in dogs requires almost 4 to 7 hours.
But don’t compromise with the signs they show when they are hungry. If this is happening, they may become ravenous.
Maintain the Feeding Routine of Your Dog
Developing a healthy routine to feed your dog is really very important. If you are not being specific about the schedule, your dog will not love to have their meals. They maintain a proper schedule as per their habits. Some tips for adapting to maintain the schedule are as follows:-
- Set up a place and time
The primary step you need to take is to set the perfect time and place when and where you can feed your dog. Changing the timings and location has an impact on the dog’s mindset too. Be sure that the spot is neat and clean and occupied with some other necessities too. If your dog loves to be around some toys, put them in the same spot to make them familiar with them.
Along with finalizing the spot, be sure of the timings. Well, in the case of dogs, you cannot be careless. The frequency of feeding your dog depends on the nutrition required by their body, breed, and age. Do have a proper conversation with the vet to be sure of the quantity and frequency too.
- Let them learn good mealtime behavior
Dogs are really very friendly and are good learners as well. Always let your dog learn good manners. When it comes to feeding them, make sure they are seeking permission from you before having their meal and that they are always ready to wait at the same spot. If they are being impulsive and barking just because they are feeling hungry, it will be annoying for you and for the neighbors too.
When they are done with seeking permission from you, leave them at the spot and let them eat peacefully. Make sure you are not disturbing them while they are having their meals.
- Adapt adjustments
As a dog owner, you need to be sure that your dog is ready to adjust. Sometimes, you need to keep your dog waiting for their food or feed them earlier than usual. This is important as it prepares them for some emergency situations too. If your dog gets stuck on a schedule, they will start to behave annoyingly if you get late feeding them.
- Change in their meals
Some changes are also required in their meals. Do not feed your dog the same food regularly. As humans get bored of having the same food on their plate regularly, the same happens with dogs. Thus, change the food. You can check out the food for dogs available for a better understanding.
Structured Feeding Schedule of Your Dog
A proper schedule is a must for every living being, and likewise with dogs. Make sure to have a proper, structured feeding schedule for your dog, and it will start the moment they wake up. For example, if you and your dog wake up at the same time in the morning, you need to be sure that they are engaging in activities from that moment only.
- In the morning, potty time is a must for dogs. You can simply take them to the backyard or a place where they can comfortably poop.
- Now be sure about their first meal of the day. If your dog is not fond of having anything in the morning, wait until they’re ready to get it. Some dogs do not have anything before 11 a.m. in morning. You need to respect that and wait until they are ready. (Note: Do not feed your dog repeatedly. It will lead to bloating and some gastrointestinal issues as well.
- Set up timing after 6 hours from breakfast to lunch. As much as 6 hours are required by the dog to completely digest the food.
- In the evening, be ready to take them for a walk and engage in some exercises with them. This will make them exhausted and hungry at the same time. When your dog is hungry, they eat well.
- After evening exercise, wait for 1-2 hours for dinner. Feed them dinner and let them sleep after it.
What happens if my dog doesn’t eat?
If your dog is not getting their meals properly, they will suffer from different conditions. This includes:
- Loss of energy
- Behavioral changes
- Heartburn, acid indigestion, or pyrosis
What is the reason for a dog’s not eating?
Loss of appetite in dogs is common. There is nothing to worry about in some cases. However, if this occurs frequently, you should be concerned. The possible reasons behind it are as follows:
- Dental illness
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Feeling under the weather
- Anxiety issues
- Encounter with unfamiliar surroundings
- Emotional trauma
- Recent vaccination
- Fed up with having the same meal regularly?
- Feeling alone
How do I get my dog to eat in the morning?
Well, if you want your dog to have meals in the morning, it is important to adapt things according to their lifestyle as well. The following are some things you can do to adapt to the same:
- Have a conversation with a vet and find out whether they are physically, emotionally, and mentally fit or not.
- If your dog is fit, change the food you give them regularly.
- Take your dog for some extensive exercise early in the morning so that they feel fatigued and hungry at the same time.
- Keep the surroundings neat and clean and maintain silence too.
- Let your dog observe the food for a while and see their response to it.
Tasty morning breakfast ideas for dogs
A tasty breakfast is a primary requirement for each dog. Some morning breakfast ideas are as follows:
- Mix your favorite veggies together and top them with honey or butter with a little pinch of salt.
- Get your dog’s favorite bean cooked properly.
- If your dog enjoys eating fruit, cut it up and sprinkle it with a pinch of salt.
- They switch from one food brand to another.
- Scrambled eggs
Note: Whichever food you choose in the morning, be sure your dog is not allergic to it, and also do not feed it to them in higher quantities on the first day.
Dogs love to have their meals on time. But sometimes, they are not ready to have it. The eating schedule of your dog varies due to a lot of factors. But if you want your dog to have the meal in the morning, you can simply alter their schedule and prepare them to have it in the morning. For more information, do head to our post on food choices for dogs and get all the answers to the queries you have for your canine friend!
You might also like to read
I am a dog lover who spent her childhood in the company of a friendly Labrador Retriever. I believe that pets make our lives more enjoyable and stress-free. So, here I am, attempting to share my experiences and knowledge to improve the lives of pets and pet owners.