Skip to content
Home » Pet Blog » Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?

Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?

Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate

Everyone loves to have chocolate, whether dark or white. Now we humans like it so much so how our four-legged friends can live without eating it. Now the question arises, whether they too can eat chocolate like us? Can Dogs eat white chocolate? No, they can’t be fed with white chocolate as it is made up of a mixture of sugar, cocoa butter, dairy products, and a fatty substance called lecithin, which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, retching, chocolate poisoning, and, most dangerous of all is chocolate poisoning.

white chocolate
White Chocolate

White Chocolate Nutrition Facts

Nutrition Values as per (1 cup/per 100g)
Calories 1207
Protein13.1 g
Sugar132.2 g
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
Fat71.9 g, (Saturated: 43.5 g)
Cholesterol47 mg
Sodium201.6 mg
Source: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

What is Chocolate Poisoning? Why is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

It is the most common case that we see in dogs. In fact, it is the most common call that Pet Poison Helpline receives. Our rowdy dogs somehow manage to find the chocolates no matter where we keep them. So as pet owners, it is our responsibility to take care of our naughty friends. Chocolate is very bad for dogs because it contains harmful substances known as methylxanthines, specifically caffeine and theobromine. It’s not easy for our pets to metabolize these substances as much as we humans can. The quantity of theobromine present in chocolates varies from chocolate to chocolate. More the theobromine, the more is the danger.

Are There Any Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs?

The symptoms that show the signs of chocolate poisoning are:

  • Diarrhea and vomiting
  • Agitation and hyperactivity
  • Increase in thirst
  • Tremors or twitching
  • Cardiac failure
  • Collapse
  • Panting or restlessness
  • Drooling
  • Excessive urination
  • Shaking

Source: NCBI & NIH

What To Do If Your Dog Has Ingested the Chocolate?

If you find that your pet has ingested, it’s better to contact your vet as soon as possible, call Pet Poison Helpline, or immediately rush to your nearby veterinary hospital. You may find that their treatment is dependent on how much chocolate is ingested and the symptoms that the patient is having. If your dog has ingested a large amount of chocolate, then they will first monitor your pet’s heart rate and rhythm, IV fluids, and multiple doses of activated charcoal. In extreme cases, dogs are sometimes given beta-blockers. Most patients recover in a few days and do better if treatment is initiated as soon as ingestion is detected. If your dog has ingested just a small amount of chocolate, he may or may not need the treatment. Sometimes it depends on the body and size of the dog. For example, a small amount of chocolate for an adult dog may not create any problem, but it is a big problem for the small ones. To prevent further absorption, it is a common practice to induce vomiting with activated charcoal. Some patients are given subcutaneous fluids to help flush their kidneys as well as keep them hydrated if they are already having symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.

What Is Pet Poison Control Center? How does it work?

A Poison Control Center is a medical service that offers immediate, free, and expert treatment advice and assistance over the phone in the event of poisonous or hazardous substance exposure. There is no need to go anywhere. The poison control center answers questions about potential poisons in addition to providing treatment management advice about household products, medicines, pesticides, plants, bites, food poisoning, and fumes. Their main motto is to make the world safer for animals and to save pets’ lives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They teach the dog owners that how to poison-proof their home and help them understand the signs and symptoms of a potential pet poisoning.

You might also like to read

Anuja Saxena

I am a dog lover who spent her childhood in the company of a friendly Labrador Retriever. I believe that pets make our lives more enjoyable and stress-free. So, here I am, attempting to share my experiences and knowledge to improve the lives of pets and pet owners.