Mango is called the king of fruits. It is one of the most delicious fruits in the entire food kingdom.Its scientific name is mangifera indica. It is a member of the drupe(large seed) family. It originated from northwestern Myanmar(Burma), Bangladesh, northeast India, and Southeast Asia. It is a delicious seasonal fruit that grows in tropical regions. It has many types which vary in shape, flavor, color, and size. Mangoes are good for your dogs. It contains vitamin A, B6, C, and E, which is very nutritious for your dog. There are around 300 types of mangoes, but only 30 are consumed globally.
Are Mangoes Safe for Dogs?
Yes, mangoes are safe for dogs. However, you need to make sure that only the yellow and fleshy parts should be given. Make sure you don’t give the mango seeds as it contains cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs. Mangoes contain antioxidants and vitamins A, B6, C, and E, which are very nutritious for them. It is a good source of fiber as it helps your dog in digestion. It can lower cholesterol and boost the immune system. It should be given in moderation.
Nutritional Value of Fresh Raw Mangoes
|Nutrients||Amount (Per 100g)|
How many mangoes can my dog consume?
Quarter a cup of fresh mango once a week is enough for your dog as it is rich in sugar levels that might lead to obesity and diabetes if given in large quantities. When your dog eats too many mangoes, they might have stomach upset, which leads to diarrhea. Some dogs are allergic to mangoes, so start with small slices. If you realize that your dog is not allergic to it, you can feed them. Treats can make up about 10% of your dog’s daily calories intake and not more than that.
Is it true that mangoes make dogs sick?
Yes, too many mangoes can indeed make your dog sick as they can not digest it. Dogs with medical conditions like diabetes should not consume mangoes as it could worsen their condition. Mango peel is very toxic for dogs as it contains urushiol, which causes a skin rash. The seed or pit contains cyanide which is very harmful to your dog. It can cause difficulty in breathing, and it can also choke. Too much mango can make your dog sick as it has fiber, which causes loose stool or diarrhea.
Health Benefits of Mango for Dogs
Mango is considered the healthiest fruit in the world. It has a lot of health benefits to dogs. It is a good source of vitamins, proteins, antioxidants, minerals, and dietary fiber. Here are a few benefits of mango for your dog.
- Vitamin A: one mango contains 72% of our daily value vitamin A. It promotes good eyesight in your dog. It cures night blindness, cataract, and dry eyes. It also improves their coast and skin. And helps in the proper functioning of kidneys, lungs, and liver.
- It contains protein that repairs the muscles and other tissues. It also contains potassium which helps in improving your dog’s muscles and nerves.
- It contains dietary fiber, which is very beneficial for your dog’s digestive system. It softens their stool and makes it easier when your dog is having some constipation problems.
- It contains antioxidants that help in boosting your dog’s immune system and prevent skin problems, allergies, and certain types of cancer.
- Mangoes are also a great source of pectin, flavonoids like beta-carotene and alpha-carotene in dogs
- Mangoes also lowers cholesterol levels
- Mangoes are a good source of energy, and it is a healthy treat as you can give your dog to get his energy levels up in less time.
- If your dog has diabetes, it can help him stabilize his insulin level. Talk to your veterinarian before giving your dog mangoes if he has diabetes.
Drawbacks of Mango for Dogs
Mangoes can be hazardous for dogs under certain circumstances. It has high sugar levels, which can cause weight gain, heart, and dental problems, diabetes if consumed in large quantities. Here are some of the drawbacks of feeding your dog a mango:
- Dental problem in dogs: it has high sugar levels, which can cause dental decay. Mango pits or seeds can cause tooth crack.
- Diarrhea in dogs: it contains a lot of fiber which can cause loose stool or diarrhea.
- Cyanide poisoning in dogs: mango contains pits with a high concentration of cyanide that can cause drooling, difficulty in breathing, and immobility.
- The skin of the mango is also very bad for dogs as it contains urushiol, which can cause a rash on your dog’s skin. It is also very difficult to digest, which leads to vomiting, stomach ache, and intestinal blockage.
- Mangoes are hazardous for those dogs who suffer from some medical conditions like diabetes pancreatitis.
How to feed Mangoes to dogs?
Just wash the mangoes to prevent any harmful bacteria and pesticides. Then remove the skin properly as it contains urushiol, which is harmful to dogs. Then remove the seed or pit properly as it contains cyanide which can cause a choking hazard. Then simply cut the mangoes into small chunks for smaller dogs, or you can give soft flesh or large slices for larger dogs. You can also prepare the following mango recipes for your dog:
- feed some frozen slices of mango with your dog.
- mix some mango puree into yogurt as a snack.
- mix mango with other fruits as a fruit salad and feed your dog.
Alternative Treats for dogs
Apart from mangoes, there are many fruits that dogs can eat safely like:
Frequently Asked Questions about Can Dogs Eat Mangoes
- Can dogs eat mango yogurt?
Yes, they can eat mango yogurt but not daily, as yogurt contains lactose that your dog can not digest. You can give non-fat plain yogurt.
- Can a dog consume mango ice cream?
Occasionally, you can give them but in very small quantities. It contains dairy cream and lactose, which dogs can not digest, and it also contains a lot of sugar which is bad for your dog's health. In addition, ice cream and many artificial sweet products contain xylitol which is very toxic to dogs.
- Can mango cause itching in dogs?
No mango does not cause itching, but mango peel causes itching in dogs. It contains urushiol, which can cause rashes on the dog's skin.
- Can dogs eat mango seeds?
No, dogs can not eat mango seeds as it can cause a choking hazard, liver failure, and major life-threatening issues. It also contains cyanide which can cause difficulty in breathing and stomach ache or diarrhea. Licking the mango seed is fine, but swallowing is not good. If your dog has eaten it, then immediately consult the veterinarian for advice.
- Can dogs eat mango skin or peel?
It can cause major skin irritation because it contains urushiol, used in poison ivy and poison oak. It is also very difficult to chew and digest, leading to stomach aches, vomiting, and intestinal blockages.
- Can a dog drink mango juice?
It is better to feed the whole fresh fruit rather than juice. It is not toxic or harmful, but it contains added sugar which can cause health issues. Only a small amount of mango juice is enough for your dog to feed.
- Can dogs eat dried mango?
Yes, dogs can eat dried mango, and it is a great source of vitamins, beta carotene, antioxidants but only in small quantities. It is high in sugar levels and calories. Too much of it can cause tooth decay and stomach upset. Drying also deprives of its health benefits. So better to opt for fresh mangoes instead of dried mangoes.
- Can dogs eat Mango jam?
Jam is bad for dogs as it is packed with a lot of added sugar which can cause inflammation in the whole body, and too much sugar can also lead to diabetes.
- Can dogs eat mango pudding?
Mango pudding is not toxic to dogs but should be given in moderation. However, it's important that they can not have too much of it. A lot of mango pudding can cause loose stool and diarrhea.
- Can dogs eat mango candy?
Yes, dogs can eat mango candy if it is prepared at home without any added sugar or other ingredients. You can give them as a treat or reward.
- Can dogs eat raw mango?
Raw or unripe mango provides various health benefits to your dog. But it should be given in moderation as it might cause throat irritation, abdominal colic, and indigestion in dogs.
- Can dogs eat frozen mango?
Yes, you can feed frozen mango to your dog as it is great for cooling down your dog in the summer season. You can give frozen puree without adding any sweeteners or any ingredients.
- How much mango is too much for a dog?
More than a quarter a cup is too much for dogs as they can not digest, leading to diarrhea or stomach upset. It also might cause dental decay as it contains a lot of sugar and has more calories which are bad for your dog. It can also cause obesity if given in too much quantity.
In conclusion, dogs can eat mangoes in moderate quantities because they can cause diabetes and other health issues. Just make sure always to remove the pit or seed and peel. Always consult your veterinarian before giving your dog any new food or treat. Too much mango can also cause stomach upset and other health problems. Overall it’s an excellent treat for dogs in the summer season to feed them. Let your dog enjoy the juicy and delicious fruit.
You might also like to read
I am a pet lover who spent her childhood in the company of a friendly Labrador Retriever. I believe that pets make our lives more enjoyable and stress-free. Currently, I have two budgies Kiwi & Koko as pets, and planning to adopt a pup soon. So, here I am, attempting to share my experiences and knowledge to improve the lives of pets and pet owners.