Have you ever seen those small annoying insects flying everywhere and buzzing near your ears? If yes, then do you know what are they called? They are called June bugs, or you can also say June beetle or may beetle. A June bug is one-half to five-eighths inches long and is reddish-brown in color it is common in Oklahoma. June bugs got their name from the fact that they emerge at the end of the spring or the beginning of the summer.
June bugs generally feed on leaves as they are nocturnal. They are popular for damaging gardens, crops, and pastures, and that’s the reason why they are soaked in insecticides.
Animals like dogs, cats, frogs, etc., love to chase these kinds of flying insects. June bugs are crunchy snacks for the dogs. But can dogs eat June bugs? Are June bugs poisonous? The answer is simply yes. Dogs can enjoy this crunchy snack as they are not poisonous and will not bite the dogs. In fact, catching and eating these crunchy bugs is a play and fun time for them with others, including stink bugs, moths, flies, grasshoppers, etc. Just remember that while the June bugs are not harmful to dogs, consuming them in large quantities can lead to health problems such as stomach upset, diarrhea, gas, and vomiting.
How Harmful Are June Bugs For Dogs?
Anything in excess is always harmful. There is no doubt that June bugs are good for the health of dogs, but only if they are not consumed in large amounts. There are some reasons which can make them unfit for the dogs.
As you very much know that if your dog consumes them in large amounts, then he may develop health issues like vomiting or diarrhea because, as obvious stomach would throw the unwanted substances out of the stomach. Make sure that your dog consumes only one or two of the June bugs. To make sure, it is necessary not to leave him alone if you are out with him for a walk or other activities.
Secondly, you may have noticed that the bodies of June bugs are covered with shells which can cause choking hazards and intestinal blockages. Shells can damage the tissues of the esophagus and furthermore damage the walls of the stomach. This is another reason for which you need to be careful.
Everything is considered about the benefits of eating June bugs, but then also it is recommended to stop your dog not only from eating June bugs but also any other insect because these insects might be the vectors for various diseases that might be harmful to the dogs or even, they might be carrying worms or other parasites.
Some of these insects may be soaked with insecticides which can harm your dog if he eats them. Generally, insecticides are used to control these insects from damaging the crops. Insecticides are poisonous to dogs, so it’s best to keep your dog away from these insects.
These are the reasons that make June bugs harmful to dogs. Keep in mind that whenever your pet is outside, keep an eye on him, especially during summer. June bugs are usually attracted to lights, so if you walk your dog under road lights, make sure that your dog does not jump for these bugs. If you don’t want your dog to suffer from any disease, then keep him away from not only these bugs but also from other insects like flies, moths, etc., especially during summer nights. Immediately contact your vet if your dog eats too many June bugs. June bugs can be harmful because of any of the above-stated reasons.
Dogs can enjoy June bugs as a crunchy snack as they are not poisonous and will not bite the dogs. There is no doubt that June bugs are not harmful to dogs but just keep in mind that anything in excess is always harmful. There are some reasons which make June bugs harmful at the same time. For instance, you may have noticed that the bodies of June bugs are covered with shells which can cause choking hazards and intestinal blockagesKeep in mind that whenever your pet is outside, keep an eye on him, especially during summer. June bugs are usually attracted to lights, so if you walk your dog under road lights, make sure that your dog does not jump for these bugs. Take special care of your dog during summer nights because June bugs are prevalent during summers, and that too in nighttime due to their attraction for lights. If your dog eats too many June bugs, then immediately contact your vet and make sure your pet gets prompt medical treatment
You might also like to read
I am a pet lover who spent her childhood in the company of a friendly Labrador Retriever. I believe that pets make our lives more enjoyable and stress-free. Currently, I have two budgies Kiwi & Koko as pets, and planning to adopt a pup soon. So, here I am, attempting to share my experiences and knowledge to improve the lives of pets and pet owners.