Donuts are popular among the kids. They love the different varieties of donuts such as cake donuts, yeast donuts, chocolate donuts, glazed donuts, etc. But there is one thing that is common in all the varieties of donuts that all the donuts contain sugar in large amounts. Now you must have got the answer to the question, “can dogs eat donuts?” The answer is as obvious, no. Sugary foods should be avoided by dogs as they can lead to health issues such as diabetes, obesity, cavities, etc., in the long run. Dogs are not intelligent enough that they can differentiate between right and wrong. Therefore, as a responsible dog owner, you must avoid giving such sugary foods after knowing the side effects of sugar on dogs. Too much sugar is not good for humans, so how can it be good for dogs? Other than sugar, donuts contain flour, milk, salt, and egg. Milk is not needed by dogs as they are lactose intolerant. Salt is also toxic as it can cause bloating, thirst, urination, etc. Donuts are low in calories, so after consuming one, your dog will demand more to fill up his stomach, and overeating would lead to various health issues.
When Are Donuts Harmful?
You can give your dog just a little bit of plain donut and that too once in a while. Donuts are of different varieties and different ingredients. It absolutely depends on the ingredients that are present in fillings or toppings. The main concerns are chocolate, xylitol, and dogs with underlying medical conditions may also struggle after eating donuts.
Chocolate is loved by everyone, especially children. But make sure your dog doesn’t get addicted to eating chocolate or chocolaty foods as humans are. Chocolate contains chemicals such as theobromine and caffeine that are poisonous to dogs as these chemicals directly attack the liver. All the types of chocolate contain these chemicals, but there is a slight difference. White and milk chocolates contain these chemicals in low quantities, whereas dark chocolates contain these in high quantities.
Xylitol is the artificial sweetener used as a substitute for sugar. Dogs’ bodies are not capable enough to differentiate between sugar and xylitol, so they produce insulin which can cause urination, diabetes, etc. Xylitol lowers the blood sugar level below the normal level. This leaves the dogs with low blood sugar, starving the brain, especially energy.
What Should I Do If My Dog Ate A Donut?
Suppose your dog ate donuts when you were not there to supervise. First of all, take away all the remaining donuts from your dog and try to figure out the quantity that he had consumed. This will give you an idea of what you have to do next. Now try to figure out the ingredients that were present in donuts eaten by your dog. If your dog has consumed sugared donuts, then it won’t create the problem at that moment, but it is worth checking the ingredient list to see whether it contains xylitol or not. If your dog has eaten a donut with a chocolate filling or frosting, try to figure out what kind of chocolate it is. It will help you during the treatment. The next thing that you have to look for is the quantity. If you suspect that your dog has eaten the donuts in large quantities, then immediately contact your vet or rush to the nearby hospital without any delay. This way if there is a problem, it is addressed sooner rather than later. If your dog has eaten just a small bit of donut, then monitor him for over 48 hours. In doing so, if you come across any strange behavior of your dog, such as not taking an interest in activities that he usually enjoys doing or not being able to walk properly. In such a case, it is significant to consult your vet. He will instruct you on how to relieve your dog.
Your dog can eat a small number of donuts but make sure he doesn’t get addicted to it. Donut contains ingredients such as flour, milk, salt, sugar, yeast, and eggs. Some of these ingredients do not add any nutritional value to your dog’s body. Sugary foods are not good for dogs. Donuts containing chocolate and xylitol are the major ingredients that can even lead to the sad demise of your dog in extreme cases. If you suspect that your dog has eaten too many donuts and that too containing chocolate and xylitol as a filling or frosting, immediately rush to your vet without any delay.
You might also like to read
I am a pet lover who spent her childhood in the company of a friendly Labrador Retriever. I believe that pets make our lives more enjoyable and stress-free. Currently, I have two budgies Kiwi & Koko as pets, and planning to adopt a pup soon. So, here I am, attempting to share my experiences and knowledge to improve the lives of pets and pet owners.