Have you ever wondered whether or not you can give your dog Acai? If yes, you are at the right platform to sniff your answer. Well, the answer is yes as long as your dog does not consume Acai too much. Overeating can be harmful not only to humans but also to dogs. Acai is nutritional and provides several health benefits to dogs, such as it helps in neutralizing free radicals throughout your dog’s body. But at the same time, it contains theobromine which can cause a threat equal to chocolate poisoning. In short, Acai can be beneficial only if consumed within a certain limit and can be harmful at the same time if over consumed.
What Is Acai?
Acai is a fruit like grapes, generally found on acai palm trees in South American rainforests. The seed takes up about 80 percent of the berry, but the flesh contains plenty of vitamins and minerals in the rest, 20 percent. It contains high antioxidant content, which provides health benefits to both humans and dogs. It is loaded with powerful plant compounds that act as antioxidants and could contain benefits for the heart, brain, and complete body health. The fact that makes Acai a healthy food is that it delivers healthy fats and fiber.
What Are The Benefits Of Feeding Acai To Dogs?
Acai provides health benefits to both humans and dogs. If followed the rule of moderation, Acai is healthy in the following ways:
- Acai is high in antioxidants that can help build up the immune system, and it also protects the cells against damage from free radicals. The Acai pulp is much richer than acai juice.
- Acai contains the cancer prevention agent called anthocyanin, which helps in bringing down the oxidative pressure and irritation, advancing cerebrum functioning. It prevents the growth of cancer cells in the body.
- The fruit is full of fiber which not only helps in making trips to the bathroom more regular but also helps keep your dog full, hence no demands for unnecessary calories food. A few records have proved that there is a lower cardiovascular risk and a drop in mortality rate with the utilization of fiber.
- Acai even increases good cholesterol levels and decreases harmful cholesterol levels in dogs. Furthermore, it relieves joint pain, irritation, stoutness, coronary illness, and erectile brokenness.
- Acai berries are rich in calcium which helps in keeping the bones, heart, muscles, and nerves healthy. They can help your dog is losing his weight as munching on lots of fruits and vegetables will ensure the prevention of fats and added sugar.
- Acai berries contain necessary vitamins and minerals that help in assembling a healthy body and strong immune system.
- Moreover, it flushes out the toxins and makes a new way for the neurons to function, and enhances the communication among the brain cells.
These are the benefits that can help your dog in living a long and healthy life. This ensures the way long fun with the dog, so you can give Acai to him but not on a regular basis.
Acai Nutrition Facts
|Nutrition||Value (100 grams)|
|Saturated fat||1.5 grams|
What If Your Dog Ate Too Much Acai?
If your dog ate a full bowl of acai berries, then do not panic. Despite the fact that acai berries are beneficial, Acai can be toxic if overeaten. Acai contains theobromine that increases energy but at the same time reduces appetite. Dogs metabolize theobromine very slowly than humans. In dogs, theobromine’s biological half-life is 17.5 hours and 72 hours in extreme cases. You need to contact your vet immediately or call on the pet poison helpline. They are available 24 x 7 and have better medical treatment for poisoning. Moreover, if your dog is pollen allergic, then you are recommended to consult your vet before giving anything new to your dog, especially acai berries.
If you got late to know this, then you will get to see the side effects in the fur, near ears, and pads on your dog’s paws. Call your vet without any delay in such a case. The symptoms that you can look for are vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, tremors, seizures, etc. Make sure that your dog does not overeat because the acai berries that are beneficial can become even more dangerous if overeaten.
Acai is a fruit like grapes that provides several health benefits to both humans and dogs. Acai is high in antioxidants that can help build up the immune system, and it also protects the cells against damage from free radicals. The Acai pulp is much richer than acai juice. Acai contains theobromine that increases energy but at the same time reduces appetite. Therefore, too many acai berries can be toxic to dogs and can cause theobromine poisoning. You need to contact your vet immediately or call on the pet poison helpline. If you want your dog to live a long and healthy life, then make sure that he does not overeat.
You can keep your dog healthy and happy by feeding different types of fruits. Do take a look at our post what fruits can dogs eat?
I am a pet lover who spent her childhood in the company of a friendly Labrador Retriever. I believe that pets make our lives more enjoyable and stress-free. Currently, I have two budgies Kiwi & Koko, and a puppy named Enzo. So, here I am, attempting to share my experiences and knowledge to improve the lives of pets and pet owners.